Monday, March 14, 2011

Meatless Monday - Cheese stuffed mini sweet peppers

Did you ever see the movie Mermaids with Cher, Bob Hoskins, and Winona Ryder? Cher, playing the mother, only knew how to make appetizers for dinner, she never mastered entrees but would do an assortment of snacks.

That's sort of how I felt tonight (well, not quite like Cher). I had planned to make these for yesterday's party but ran out of time with the clock change and all that.

I have some beautiful mini sweet peppers. No, they are not in season, and no, they are not local. But they are gorgeous to look at and very sweet.























Preheat the oven to 350F

Put the peppers into the microwave for a minute or two on high just to soften them slightly.

Meanwhile mix together 12oz or so of cream cheese, (or goat cheese). I added a little bleu cheese I had left over from the chicken wings yesterday, some herbs de provence, and a little garlic powder. Your imagination is your only limiter here.



















With a sharp paring knife make a slit the length of the pepper, and squeeze it gently like one of those old rubber change purses. Pack in some of the cheese, put on cookie sheet.

Repeat until you have as many as  you can get (I managed 20 stuffed peppers).

Into the hot oven for 20 minutes until cheese is oozy and peppers are crisp-tender.

I served it with some steamed green beans and rice. And I have plenty for lunch tomorrow!




















Until next time, Eat Well & Keep Digging.





The Gastronomic Gardener
Garden blog http://amidwestgarden.blogspot.com/
Cooking blog http://ihopeyouarehungry.blogspot.com/
Twitter - www.twitter.com/DavidPOffutt
http://www.facebook.com/TheGastronomicGardener

6 comments:

  1. That first photo is absolutely ace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark, a bit like your banner! I'm working on improving the lighting of my shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always posting something good. I happen to have the leftovers of a small pack of peppers in the frig that I was wondering what I was going to do with. I don't happen to have any cream cheese on hand but maybe I can make some yogurt cheese to stuff them with. We aren't eating up the yogurt this time like we usually do. Thanks for the good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky, Thank you! I think the yogurt cheese would work fine as long as it is pretty dry, toss in some herbs and they should be good! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That recipe is perfect and I'll definitely use it this summer after harvesting my peppers. Actually I think i'll use it now as I've peppers in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for stopping by Why I Garden! I'll definately make it again. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...