Monday, April 18, 2011

Spaghetti Squash Primavera




Spaghetti squash is a wonderful vegetable, it keeps well, kids will eat it, and it is versatile. A colleague gave me a squash late last week that he had harvested in September. I saved it for tonight.

Primavera means spring, so I thought we'd have a little fun, a play on Pasta Primavera using the squash instead of noodles.

You can use any fresh vegetables you have on hand. Vegetables that can retain some crispness when cooked are best.

Ingredients:
1 medium spaghetti squash
1 carrot cut into match sticks
1/2 onion, cut in half and sliced
1-2 cups cauliflower florets
1/2  cup greenbeans
2-3 cloves garlic sliced
sweet peppers sliced
2 Tbs olive oil divided
salt and pepper
water

















Stab the squash 4 -5 times carefully, place on a plate and microwave for 10-12 minutes on high. Alternatively you could oven roast it for an hour, or steam it. I choose the microwave because it is fast.

Meanwhile.....

Heat pan over medium high heat, add 1 tbs olive oil and garlic. Cook and stir until fragrant.




















Add the other vegetables, longer cooking ones first, in this case I added the carrots and cauliflower, and a generous pinch of salt.

Add a splash of water if needed to gently steam / saute them until tender crisp. Turn heat down to low.



















When squash is done, let it rest for about 5 minutes, then using an oven mitt (it will still be very hot) to hold it, cut squash lengthwise.



















Scoop out the seeds, - you can let them cool and roast them just like pumpkin seeds if you choose. Use a fork and scrape out the flesh. It comes out in strands that give it its name.


















Turn the heat under the pan back up, add the remaining oil  and squash;



















Toss to coat and mix with the other vegetables. Cook for a few minutes until squash is tender crisp. Again, if needed, add a splash of water to steam / saute the vegetables. Check seasoning and adjust salt and pepper as needed.

Plate squash and other vegetable. Finish with some fresh grated cheese, I used the Pecorino Romano that I have on hand. Parmesan would work just fine.




















Until next time, Eat Well & Keep Digging.


The Gastronomic Gardener
Garden blog http://amidwestgarden.blogspot.com/
Cooking blog http://ihopeyouarehungry.blogspot.com/
Twitter - www.twitter.com/DavidPOffutt
http://www.facebook.com/TheGastronomicGardener

8 comments:

  1. I remember dad growing these as a child and mum just steamed them and I hated them. However, your recipe has me planning to grow some next year. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't that keen on Spaghetti Squash when I first had it, but that was many years ago and my tastes have changed a lot, I even now eat okra and aubergine (eggplant) which I once really disliked.

    So I am willing to try it again, Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hazel, That's great, I'll be growing some too, will try growing it vertically. I hope it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mangocheeks, thanks so much for stopping by! I'm glad my tastes have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried Spaghetti Squash, but I often have a version of pasta primavera. Your dish looks most attractive, with all those different colours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's the old saying Mark? We eat with our eyes first?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...