Monday, June 27, 2011

Meatless Monday - Garlic-Ginger Brassica Stirfry

OK, for many of you this might seem like cheating, after all, a stir fry is about as basic as it gets. If this is the case, skip this post and tune in next time.

Still with me?

When I was at the Korean market the other day the bok choy and Japanese broccoli looked good so I got some of each, put them in the crisper and forgot about them.  I found them tonight and in order to use them up I decided a simple stir fry would be in order. Be certain to rinse the bok choy well, it tends to be a bit gritty - and please don't run the rinse water down the drain, save it to water the garden.

If I had to name a single method of cooking in order to have tasty meals in minutes, one that is versatile for vegetables and meat, poultry or seafood; stir fry would be my choice. A little knife prep, a hot wok, a splash of oil and you are good to go. Cooking this way, if done properly - leads to beautiful, colorful plates of food.

Tonight I had the before mentioned bok choy, Japanese broccoli, onions from the garden, a bit of bell pepper, garlic and ginger and garlic chili paste.






















Start some rice. After about 15 minutes, put a wok over high heat. Heat for several minutes until wok is very hot.

Add about 2 Tbs oil - peanut or canola - NOT olive oil.




















Add garlic and ginger - Stir fry - with metal utensil about 30 seconds,

Add the onions and peppers stir fry another 30 seconds, At this point I remembered I had some julienned vegetables from the Smoked Duck Spring rolls, so I threw them in as well.

Add the bok choy and  broccoli, stir fry - keeping the vegetables moving in the hot wok until they turn bright green and just start to wilt. Add a good pinch of salt.

Add the chili paste




















Toss to coat. I added a couple tablespoons of corn starch slurry to tighten up the liquids.




















Toss one last time, remove from the heat. Plate with a little rice, a few cilantro sprigs make a nice garnish.




















This is an easy - no fuss, yet deeply satisfying dinner. Whip up a stir fry this week!

The Gastronomic Gardener
Garden blog http://amidwestgarden.blogspot.com/
Cooking blog http://ihopeyouarehungry.blogspot.com/
Twitter - www.twitter.com/DavidPOffutt
http://www.facebook.com/TheGastronomicGardener

4 comments:

  1. I live for simple stir fries, and I have a good sized bag of broccoli florets and snow peas screaming at me to do something with them, as well as green onions the size of baseball bats (OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration)in the garden. I've never used chili paste. Is that something I could make, or do I have to buy it special? Since I love Yoshida's Original Gourmet Sauce, I usually put a small amount of that, mixed with soy sauce and a bit of water or broth, thickened with a cornstarch slurry. I'm in a bit of a rut with that sauce, but I never tire of it.

    Hmmm, I have some leftover grilled London broil from last night. I see a quick stir fry in my future :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, with me you're preaching to the converted here!
    With stir-frying I think the essential knack is to cut the stuff you are going to cook into pieces that will cook in about the same time, which means harder stuff will be in smaller pieces.
    BTW: your wok looks as it has been well used!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny, I purchase my garlic chil;i paste but you could make some. A quick Google search turned up many recipes. I may make somewhen this years batch of peppers comes in.

    Mark, I thought I would be for many of my readers. That's a good tip. You can do that or add them in the appropriate order. The wok is at least 10 years old, I don't scour it, I rinse in very hot - almost boilong water and scrap it. At this point it is nearly non-stick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the asian food theme lately! all great ideas. and i laughed alot about the Timmermeister book.. in another life i would have been that guy's neighbor!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...