Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Get Yer Fresh Bratwurst Here!

Finally got around to making some fresh sausage. Bratwurst to be more specific.

I've been wanting to learn/teach myself how to do this for a long time, and have done the reading, the research - bought some equipment to start out.

We start with a pork shoulder - also called pork butt - and we slice it into strips for easy feeding into the grinder.
It's 2.5 lbs shoulder and  .5 lb pork fat. Weighed out and into big ziplocs to chill.
  
Meanwhile measure and grind the fresh spices. They include nutmeg, mace, garlic, sugar, salt, black pepper, mustard seed, and  sage. There are two plates of spices as there are two batches.
 
Put meat strips and spices in a bowl, mix together then grind on 1/4" plate. The Kitchen Aid worked pretty well for this, put the ground sausage back in the bag and back onto the fridge to chill.
 

 
At this point a taste test is required, so make a small patty and fry it up - pretty darn good!
 

Next, soak some hog casings in water for at least 30 minutes to wash the salt off. I wasn't sure what to expect but they did not have an off smell and they were slimy like mucus. Weird but not completely gross.
 
Next assemble the stuffer. This did not work nearly as well as grinding, feeding was a bit of a hassle - I will look into a better stuffer for the future.
I did have some issues with the casing tearing - yes, I did lube the horn but it still tore some.  Not a big deal, just tied them off the best I could with string. The casing did have the variability one might expect from a natural product.

Here is the first result. I will poach them in beer and finish them on the grill.
Into the hot tub for you brats!
 
The second batch turned out much better, probably combination of  a better casing, colder ground meat (the second batch chilled overnight) and experience.
 
Ok, everybody swim in circles!
 
Well my fault I stepped away while they were poaching and some split. Darn. I think they will still be delicious.

They were and are.
 
Eat Well!

2 comments:

  1. I think I can smell how tasty it is from here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan. it is easy top make, the fresh ground spices make an enormous difference! Thanks for stopping by Susan!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...