Saturday, October 2, 2010

An abundance of Basil!

I had just finished putting the hoop house up for a late season crop of lettuce. In order to do so, I had to harvest the "last" of the basil.



















There is no way I can use that up,  I like the fresh taste better that dried so I decided to freeze it.

First, pick off the leaves, it took a long time but sure smelled good!




















Next I needed  to puree  it. The blender did not work very well, so into the food processor it went.



A little water to thin it,  the smell is heady!



Hard to believe it all broke down into a big freezer bag.





Squeeze out the air and lay it flat. It'll go into the freezer. Once set, I'll cut it into chunks. I suppose I could have used ice cube trays, but I only have one.





















The Gastronomic Gardener
Garden blog http://amidwestgarden.blogspot.com/
Cooking blog http://ihopeyouarehungry.blogspot.com/
Twitter - www.twitter.com/DavidPOffutt
http://www.facebook.com/TheGastronomicGardener

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I have always dried my basil and would have never thought to freeze it. I am sure it tastes much better this way. I have to wonder if you couldn't can it in small jars after it is chopped like this as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know Becky, You might need to use a pressure cooker to do that, I'd have to look and see for the future. Frozen works pretty well, in the deep of winter - thaw some out, some garlic and olive oil and it is a brilliant taste of summer!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...