Sunday, July 4, 2010

Ribs - low and slow

Today is the 4th of July, Independence Day, a day of celebration, hot BBQ, and cold beer. To that end I'm going to make some ribs. Specifically pork ribs.

I have a rack of spare ribs  - cut off the sternum, as well as some baby back ribs which of course come from near the back. The spare ribs have more meat but many folks prefer the baby back.

The idea is to get the flavor on/in the ribs before cooking.
I made a quick rub:

RUB Recipe
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 TBS Coarse salt
1 TBS Sweet Spanish paprika "Dulce"
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder

Here it is in smokey glory

Next unpack and rinse the ribs, then remove the membrane from the bone side, turn them over and dry them well so the rub & smoke will adhere. The baby back are in the back in the photo and the spare ribs in the foreground.
Put a generous amount of the rub on the meat side. Some folks like to put it on the bone side as well, I think it is a waste.
At this point you could wrap them up and put them into the fridge up to over night. I don't have that luxury so I'll get them in the "smoker" now. I'm not trying to cook them in here, just get some flavor on them.

Here is my rigged cold smoker in my gas grill.

A small inexpensive hot plate, caste iron wood chip box, and maple chips. I hope it works.
Add the ribs and smoke for about an hour.
 
Now into the oven at 220 for 3 hours
 
Plus 2 hours at 250 with a little water in the pan.  Here's what they look like out of the oven. - That bald spot? Well, I HAD to test them!
Double wrap in foil and take to the party.
Crisp them up on the grill with your favorite BBQ sauce or eat them dry!

My garden blog http://amidwestgarden.blogspot.com/
My cooking blog  http://ihopeyouarehungry.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...